I'm David. I write code and words. I'm passionate about accessibility and disability.
If you found this website inaccessible, I would definitely appreciate an email at david.a.peter [at] gmail.com. However, no pressure to educate me.
- Fanfiction for Pets
- Delivered December 31, 2017
- Building Accessibility Culture
- Model View Culture, Issue 38
- June 22, 2016
- The Hearing Monoculture Rejects Those Who Can't Hear
- Model View Culture, Issue 17
- February 24, 2015
- Deafness in the Tech World
- AlterConf NYC
- October 4, 2014
Kickstarter: March 2014 – November 2017
- Joined as the third frontend engineer. We still used jQuery soup then. The team later expanded to be about 10 frontend engineers.
- Did a lot of Ruby on Rails. In the beginning, we wore many hats.
- Introduced accessibility as a product value. Helped educate coworkers and set up processes for accessibility.
- Implemented subtitles and captions for all videos, including a tool to help users generate their own.
- Helped architect the new frontend codebase in Webpack, ES6, React, Redux, and GraphQL. This included education and architecture ideation, implementation, and processes.
- Became team lead for the biggest feature team. Worked on a significant React/Redux project that involved GraphQL. Led 4 engineers. We rewrote one of the core, critical flows at Kickstarter: Project Build.
- Can regale you with tales of trade-offs. Programming design, selecting technologies, agreeing on best practices, communicating changes to other people.
Apple (Intern): June 2013 – August 2013
- Did data analysis.
- Introduced automated testing to my team's stack.
- Realized this company was not for me.
1000memories: May 2011 – May 2012
San Francisco, CA
- About 10 people worked for this startup.
- Worked as an intern for 3 months, then took a break in college to work full-time for the remaining 9 months.
- Wrote a dynamic photo uploader and photo importer. The importer integrated with the Instagram and Facebook APIs. Within 2 weeks of release, imported photos amounted to over 25% of all total photos on the site.
- Helped write the core 1000memories API, written in Sinatra (Ruby).
- Had a patch to Ruby on Rails accepted.
I graduated summa cum laude with a 4.0 GPA from the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT).